Twitter

Sunday, January 27, 2008

Step by Step back to The Right Stuff

Full disclosure: My first concert was at Texas Stadium in August of 1989. The band.... New Kids on the Block.

Yes, I was only 8, and I was going with my older cousin and my mom, but that was the point when I found my own tastes in music. It was the point when my parents' music wasn't all my music. Granted, I still loved the oldies and what little bit of the 80s New Wave that came through the lite rock station, but I broke away into the pop/dance/r&b world of the early 90s. New Kids on the Block paved the way to where I am today. [I won't go into my parents falling into the NKOTB marketing ploys to decorate my room, get me a Joey doll, an NKOTB boardgame, or the fact that I loved the cartoon. Yes, I was a born a geek.]

Ladies, Donnie, Danny, Jordan, Jon, and Joey are reuniting!

I was watching the announcement on Good Morning America, and I wanted to laugh because they got some of the facts wrong. They said that Jordan was in real estate when it was actually Jon who went into real estate. Jordan actually did some solo stuff in the late 90s, and I have the cd to prove it. *ahem*

It's kind of exciting that they are getting back together. Donnie will have a chance to climb back up and out of his brother Mark's shadow (does anyone remember when Mark Wahlberg was Marky Mark, he had a Funky Bunch, and posed in his Calvins?)

I'm sure I'll be there with millions of other ladies of a certain age reliving our youth and screaming like we did when we had The Right Stuff.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to go watch Hangin' Tough Live.

5 comments:

Randy W said...

You're joking right? I used to love them back in the day too.

Randy W said...

BUT the Weird Al parody of The Right Stuff is better than the original haha

Joel "El Macho" said...

Danny announced via his MySpace page today that it ain't happening, but he does have a solo album on the way.

Leslie said...

An article that I read stated that the official website was back up and running. Who knows.

Joel "El Macho" said...

true. "it isn't happening" usually means, "we're holding out for the right deal".