Twitter

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Surfing Myspace

My myspace has 305 friends. I might know that many people, but I'd hardly consider all of them friends. That's probably an inflated number considering that I've collected a fair share of bands into my little list.

I know I've mentioned before that Kate Nash is one of my new favorite artists. She posted a blog in her myspace yesterday, which I find refreshing that it was a true blog post. It wasn't one of those posts generated by some intern advertising a tour or some other promotion. She talked of her tour, posted pics, and fun little comments to the pics. She seems like a sweet and amazing lady, and I wouldn't mind making her acquaintance someday.

Anywho, I was intrigued by a schedule in the background of one of the pics which featured the name of an opening act. This inspired me today, and so I went in search of some of her musical myspace friends.
I highly recommend this practice if you don't already go rifling through your favorite artists' myspace friends looking for similar artists.

I digress. My fruit of the morning myspace rifling has caught a few great artists. Get Cape, Wear Cape, Fly (that's a mouthful) is one guy with some nice accoustic songs. I listened to "Call Me Ishmael"

Peggy Sue and the Pirates is really just two ladies who sound a bit like Bjork and Billie Holiday trying to do punk or imitate Eux Autres (yet another myspace find from rifling a year or two ago). They will be at SXSW on March 14th, and I'm planning on setting aside some money to see them.

Talk Taxis is another one of those artists that caught my eye from one of Kate Nash's photos. First listen sounded a lot like the Clash, but what can you expect. They are all from England, which solidifies my theory that the water in England is a lot more potent than the water in Texas.

I'm off to do more rifling. Go forth, dear readers, and rifle for yourself!

http://www.myspace.com/katenashmusic
http://www.myspace.com/getcapewearcapefly
http://www.myspace.com/talktaxis
http://www.myspace.com/peggysueandthepirates

1 comment:

Joel "El Macho" said...

i saw get cape... at sxsw last year. too much political ranting, but decent songs. he opened a bill with him, aqualung, apostle of hustle (who i do not recommend), the dears (who played 'gang of losers' start to finish), and bloc party at stubbs.