Twitter

Saturday, January 26, 2008

Those Schwartzman brothers

Some of you might remember Phantom Planet and their anthem to California that was a theme song for one of those cheesy teen soap operas that never caught my interest long enough to care to learn the name of the show. Actor Jason Schwartzman was the drummer of that band at one time.

Well, he's back at it again. A friend pointed me in the direction of the Coconut Records myspace to have a listen. The songs remind me of Phantom Planet. The same sunny SoCal happy beach blanket and palm trees kind of pop. "West Coast" is the single. The album is available through iTunes and eMusic, or you can check the myspace to see where it's available near you.

Jason's brother Robert (I forget what surname he uses these days), from Rooney, also is up to new things under the moniker Solobob. He's only got one song one his myspace called "The Victim," and it reminds of early incarnations of Rooney's "Blue Side."

I'm happy to see these talented brothers bringing forth more great music.

As always, I shall point the way...

http://www.myspace.com/coconutrecords
http://www.myspace.com/solobob

2 comments:

Joel "El Macho" said...

I was just pointed to Coconut Records last weekend myself. Pretty good stuff. I meant to play "Nighttiming" last night, but it got lost in the shuffle.

Randy W said...

Rooney is connected with Phantom Planet? Hmm Is Rooney any good?