Twitter

Sunday, February 10, 2008

The Grammys celebrate 50!

No real rhyme or reason to this. Just a stream of consciousness type blog while watching the Grammys.

I'm really happy that the WGA decided to allow the show go on for the Grammys.

I've just gotta say... Alicia Keys "playing" with Frank Sinatra was a spectacular kind of awesome. I gotta give this girl props for giving props to God first in her acceptance speech for Female R&B Artist of the Year. That always sits cool in my book.

Carrie Underwood had something that looked like Stomp going on behind her that was kinda cool, and yet a tad distracting.

Amy Winehouse made it out of rehab in time, but her visa wasn't ready in time for her to get to the Grammys. Good on her for snagging Best New Artist, even though I was pulling for Feist, I'm well pleased. I'm thrilled for her winning Song of the Year.

Jimmy Jam reuniting with The Time... oh goodness, I felt like a kid again!

Cirque de Sole is always wonderful to see, especially when combined with the timeless music of the Beatles. The soulful gospel rendition of Let It Be made me misty-eyed. [Seriously thought about breaking down and having some church right then. Phew.]

Holy snappin' crackers!!! Kanye and Daft Punk doing "Stronger".... *falls over* I seriously don't think I have words for the awesomeness witnessed when Daft Punk hits the stage. Kanye also did a touching tribute to his mom singing "Momma."

Fergie was ok. She's never really stood out in my opinion. Over-marketed mediocrity if you ask me. Possibly the musical equivalent of chicken broth, not that great on its own, but good when you cook with it with other ingredients. [If that makes sense to you. I tend to make strange associations.]

While I was absolutely pulling for the soundtrack to Once, George and Giles Martin getting the Grammy for Love is a fitting tribute to the lads from Liverpool. Ringo is so cool, and it was a treat to see him get up there with the Martins.

Beyonce paid tribute to some of the awesome soulful ladies of music, but then Tina Turner had to come out... and damn... she looks good for her age. I've always preferred Tina's version of "Proud Mary," especially when it gets "nice and rough."

Burt Bacarach winning a Lifetime Achievement is one of those "it's about time."

My choice for My Grammy Moment won. Anne Marie Calhoun got her Grammy moment with the always great Foo Fighters. What's funny is that I'm sitting here with my parents, and my scifi lovin' dad doesn't get the UFO reference of the Foo Fighters' name. Pat Smear was on stage too! I've always liked Pat.

I might be Texan, but I'm not the biggest fan of country music. Thanks to Brad Paisley (God bless his cute country heart and paisley print guitar), I now have more ammo against country music. Brad, I'm sorry, but a song about ticks will not win points with the ladies. They're only screaming because "I'd like to check you for ticks" is the worst pick up line in the history of worst ever pickup lines. In the words of Virgin Radio UK's Anabelle Port, "It's really badly rubbish."

Aretha. If I didn't have to stop and have church before, I had to now. Never gonna break my faith! That was some powerful stuff. Israel Houghton always writes some fun worship tunes. Makes you wanna dance.

Who didn't love the stripped down acoustic "1,2,3,4" by Feist? I think that's the test for great songs. It's in how they sound in the most basic form.

I love big bands and jazz, and I'm just tickled that Kid Rock was up there singing jazz... and fabulously might I add.

Gershwin always ranks high in my book. That was a superb performance of Rhapsody In Blue. Piano music has a special place in my heart.

*COUGH* Sorry, Chevy has been cramming Malibu commercials down my throat all night.

It's a quarter til 4am in the UK, and there are actually people up watching the Grammys and Amy Winehouse. I'll give it to her, Miss Winehouse can rock. Very interesting to hear her perform "Rehab" after her recent stay. She obviously got the irony because she was smiling through the song. It's safe to say that she was gobsmacked to win Record of the Year. She looked like she was about to cry.

Josh Groban and Andre Bocelli singing "The Prayer" was magnificent!! If I had thought the Celine Dion version was good, this one just blew it out of the water. Wow.

Jerry Lee Lewis can still churn out the "Great Balls of Fire," but man, I don't think it had the original umph. But good golly Miss Molly, Little Richard can still kick it like it's still 1955! John Fogerty is always cool.

It's a nod to all the greats that Herbie Hancock's River: The Joni Letters got the top award. Amy Winehouse had a great night getting 5 awards.

Here's a link to the complete list of winners.

4 comments:

Randy W said...

Interesting take on the Grammys. I enjoyed reading it. I've always had the same reaction to "Let It Be".

Leslie said...

It's an awesome song, but the gospel touch just blew me away.

HeyJade said...

So, I flipped around and saw just a few minutes of the Grammy's here and there. The few things I did see mostly made me sick. Though, I was pretty excited and drawn in by the John Fogerty, Jerry Lee Lewis and Little Richard thing...those guys are getting up there, who knows how many chances they'll have to perform like that. Pretty shocked about Herbie Hancock winning Album of the Year, but rock on to him! Everything else I saw pretty much sucked...I just don't get it anymore, I guess. I'm out of touch. Heh.

Joel "El Macho" said...

Vince Gill's jab at Kanye was worth sitting through the rest of the mindless drivel.