Twitter

Friday, March 7, 2008

PLUG Awards Winners

I should be fired. I completely forgot about the Plug Awards this week. To redeem myself, I bring you the winners.

ALBUM OF THE YEAR
Arcade Fire - Neon Bible

What a great record. I'm really pleased this one was recognized. I'm surprised that it beat out Radiohead's In Rainbows in this category.

NEW ARTIST OF THE YEAR
Justice

I found these guys on My Space almost a year ago. Crazy, cool, and Christian... the way it should be in my opinion. ;-) They make me want to dance like Jamiroquai, so I'm really happy with this outcome too.

FEMALE ARTIST OF THE YEAR
St. Vincent

I'm a bit disappointed Emma Pollock didn't win this category.

MALE ARTIST OF THE YEAR
Andrew Bird

INDIE ROCK ALBUM OF THE YEAR
Animal Collective - Strawberry Jam

Arcade Fire, Of Montreal, or The National might have been my pick for this category. A Speak'n'Spell had to die for these guys to win. :-P

AMERICANA ALBUM OF THE YEAR
Iron & Wine - The Shepherd's Dog

I'm pleased here. :-)

METAL ALBUM OF THE YEAR
The Dillinger Escape Plan - Ire Works

HIP-HOP ALBUM OF THE YEAR
Aesop Rock - None Shall Pass

PUNK ALBUM OF THE YEAR
Gogol Bordello - Super Taranta!

Haha! Let's here it for fun and funny punk rock!

ELECTRONIC/DANCE ALBUM OF THE YEAR
Justice -

Deserved!

DJ ALBUM OF THE YEAR
Hot Chip - DJ Kicks

AVANT ALBUM OF THE YEAR
Liars - Liars

I was pulling for Eluvium because their music reminded me of Sigur Ros [I like sleepy time music].

ARTIST OF THE YEAR
Radiohead

Would you expect any different? Brilliance deserves reward.

SONG OF THE YEAR
The National - "Fake Empire"

Crackers. This category was a tough call. You had Arcade Fire, Bright Eyes, Justice, Of Montreal, and The National all up against each other. Any one of those would have been a great choice.

LIVE ACT OF THE YEAR
Arcade Fire

:-)

MUSIC VIDEO OF THE YEAR
Battles - "Atlas"

I'm thinking that Justice's video was pretty freaking awesome.

ALBUM ART PACKAGING OF THE YEAR
Menomena - Friend And Foe

I'm laughing more at the category than the winner. It's listed under "obsessive." Much?

RECORD LABEL OF THE YEAR
Merge

I voted Sub Pop because I love just about everything I hear off that label.

LIVE MUSIC VENUE OF THE YEAR
Bowery Ballroom

Texas gets no love.

MUSIC FESTIVAL OF THE YEAR
Coachella

Again no love for Texas. Both Austing City Limits Festival and SXSW were up in this category.

MUSIC WEBSITE OF THE YEAR
Pitchfork Media

MUSIC BLOG OF THE YEAR
Stereogum

I was pulling for Brooklyn Vegan. Reading that blog was one of the inspirations to start this blog you're reading now.

MAGAZINE OF THE YEAR
Paste

ONLINE RADIO STATION OF THE YEAR
KCRW

RECORD STORE OF THE YEAR
Other Music

No love for Waterloo in Austin. Sad.

ZINE OF THE YEAR
Wax Poetics

ONLINE RECORD STORE OF THE YEAR
iTunes

Easy win. iTunes blasts the competition.

COLLEGE/NON-COMM RADIO STATION OF THE YEAR
KEXP

SPECIALTY SHOW OF THE YEAR
Sirius: Left Of Center - Blog Radio

Hitting closer to home. Dallas' own Adventure Club w/ Josh from KDGE was up for this category. I'm just a bit upset over that.


Now, I should remind you that the Brit Awards will be broadcast for all of us stuck on this side of the pond on Sunday at 8pm E/7pm C on BBC America [you may want to check to see if your cable or satellite provider is cool enough to carry it].

No comments: