Twitter

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Inauguration Day Awesomeness 2009

Exciting days!  Obama is our president!  I can't tell you how excited I was to sit and watch the inauguration on tv (big screen tv with surround sound, it was like I was there!).

I know that my excitement is completely shared by some of my fellow believers.  I met a gentleman this morning that you could not mistake as an evangelical Christian.  I mean, he pulled up in what looked like an unmarked church van.  I was happy that he wanted to pose with the Obama cutout we had at our radio station table, but I was perturbed by his announcement that he would be praying for Obama's salvation.  I was under the assumption that Barrack Obama is a Christian.  While it was nice that this man will be praying for Obama and studying Revelations, I think he ought to study the man whom he is praying for so he knows how to pray for his president.

This morning's encounter coupled with a few Facebook/Twitter remarks brought post-election night feelings back to the surface.  It may not have been direct, but I felt the ridicule of Christian believers because I voted Democrat this election.  How does one reconcile their faith and their politics?

I found this wonderful article from another person in the same predicament.  So I leave yall to read this article by a professor at a Christian university by the name of Keith Drury.

"Uncritical acceptance of any party line is an idolatrous abdication of one's core identity as Abba's child. Neither liberal fairy dust nor conservative hardball addresses human dignity, which is most often dressed in rags. Abba's children find a third option. They are guided by God's Word and by it alone. All religious and political systems, Right and Left alike, are the work of human beings. Abba's children will not sell their birthright for any mess of pottage, conservative or liberal. They hold fast to their freedom in Christ to live the Gospel----uncontaminated by the cultural dreck, political flotsam, and the filigreed hypocrisies of bullying religion." -Brennan Manning (Abba’s Child)
God bless President Obama.  God bless America.

No comments: