Twitter

Monday, October 5, 2009

Bellingham, WA trip - Day 1 & 2

It's always a good idea to break ties with your reality and get out to see the world that isn't muddied by the hazy stress of everyday life.

I really anticipated going on vacation since it was planned. My aunt and uncle moved from San Antonio to Bellingham, WA last year. Since it's more difficult to get down to Texas for visits, we decided we should make our way to the Pacific Northwest to see what the fuss was about. The fuss = postcard worthy views of Puget Sound and the San Juan Islands... and mountains everywhere.

The lead up on Friday was a yo-yo ride similar to The Clash tune "Should I Stay or Should I Go?" Mom got a cold midweek, and Friday started running a fever. Our plans hung in the balance as we mulled over changing flights to accommodate Mom's health. Luckily, her fever broke, and we were heading for the airport at 5am.

You'd hope that it would be easy to just get on a plane and get the heck out of Dodge... heh... no. Just as our plane was backing out of the gate, there was some engine trouble. So we got off the plane, sat for an hour, watched the sunrise over Dallas, and waited on a new plane. We finally got our plane, and we were on our way. It was a near empty flight, so we pretty much had the run of the plane. I grabbed a window seat with a power plug, set up a movie on my laptop, and pressed my face to the window to watch the scenery. I must've taken well over 130 pictures just on the plane.

After we landed and got our rental car, I stayed awake for most of the drive through Seattle, but I decided that a nap would be great. I woke up just in time to enjoy the journey through the Coastal Mountains just before Bellingham. Joel and Suzie welcomed us as we drove up the steep driveway. Their house is up on the foothills of Mt Baker, and it overlooks the Fairhaven area of Bellingham... right on down to the bay and across to the islands. As the sun set, we could see all the way to Vancouver Island. It's absolutely gorgeous out here.

Yesterday was our second day in Bellingham. My aunt and uncle have a small garden that they grow some herbs and produce. Suzie made rhubarb bread for breakfast, and we piled into their SUV and heading down scenic Chuckanut Drive. (Not kidding about the name, I still giggle). Our adventure came to a stop when we came upon a small traffic jam due to a fallen limb in the road. There was a powerline in it as well, but about 20 people got out of their cars to move the limb, leaving the powerline. That wouldn't happen in Texas. lol

We stopped at several viewpoints to take pictures and admire the view of the San Juan Islands. Our destination was Deception Pass between Fidalgo and Whidbey Islands. There's a state park there. We took lots of pictures, and decided to hike a trail to the summit of a hill to get a better view. 0.4 miles, mostly uphill, but it was worth it. We came out on a bald spot of exposed rock that was scraped clean by glaciers during the last ice age. It looked like we were on top of the world. It was awesome.

We broke for lunch at a local Applebee's and caught a bit of the Cowboy game. :-P Great lunch, awful game. After lunch, we headed back to the park and down to the rocky beach underneath the bridge. I found some pretty rocks and a bit of driftwood that I intend to make a decorative bowl out of.

When we got back to Bellingham, we stopped at the store for provisions, and then headed home to make dinner. Dinner was homemade pizza, and everyone chipped in. It was awesome. I made my favorite margarita pizza with roma tomatoes and fresh basil from Suzie's garden. I was pretty exhausted after that, so I headed to bed.

More to come later....

2 comments:

Kim said...

pictures please =-)

Leslie said...

Pics are on my Facebook.